Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Back to the RTS in Unity via Lynda.com

When I first adopted the Unity 3D game development platform, I had decided to target an RTS.  Actually, it was split up into 3 games: city builder, strategic battle planner and tactical combat.  For various reasons (including a house fire leaving my out for 3-4 months), the project fell apart.

But taking what I've learned over the last two and a half years, and my recent class with Lynda.com on Unity 5 2D Procedural Terrain (to be published soon), I'm taking on another RTS project.  This time, the simplest RTS I can produce.  Originally, I didn't even have a map in its basic features, but I've added that anyway.  (most of it at least)


This is all going to be part of my next Lynda.com course.  The title isn't finalized, but for now I'm calling it "Unity 5 Real Time Strategy Games".  I've been working hard not only to make something that works, but simplified to make it fast to build and easy to follow.

So far, I've been generating all my own models, which actually seem to be working pretty well.  If a designer was so inclined, to create two awesome buildings and a unit of flying unit of some type, then post those on their portfolio site as Public Domain (so I can use it in the class) I would be happy to visit your site to download and use it during the course.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment