Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Unity Review: Sweater Stitch Shader (5 Stars)

Sweater Stitch Shader works incredibly well and was a breeze to add.  Installation is 1) import, 2) add stitch script to the camera, and 3) set background color alpha to 255.  That's it.  You can activate it and deactivate it in game.  (click the image to see a higher res copy)

I took an RTS I'm working on for Lynda.com and dragged it in as a test and this is the effect.  Below is an image where I increased the stitch size.

I give this a 5/5 for what it advertises.  However, there are 2 upgrades I would like to see.
1) have the script's start up edit the background color's alpha channel.  Additionally just add a bool called "SetAlphaOnStart" so the designer can turn that off if they wish.  And 2) I wish the gauge would take into account screen size.  I.e. keep the size the same no matter what screen size it is on.  This would help so that the tablet and the phone apps could appear the same.

Of course we can write our own scripts or mod the existing ones, so its really quite a minor concern.

Update -- Below is a recording of the system in real time, adjusting stitch sizes and turning it off, without affecting the game, and still seeing animations live.


No comments:

Post a Comment