Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Create your own 3D RTS in Unity


Its LIVE!  There is a course on Lynda.com now called "Unity 5: Build a Real-Time Strategy Course" that you can attend.   If you don't have an account there, you can get a free trial here.


I could have done multiplayer, but I decided to go with an AI instead. I've shown ways to add new AI capabilities with ease, using a relatively straight forward AI system.  You can control how easy or hard it is by a making the AI slower or have it make poor decisions.  


Its a playable RTS, where you can battle an AI player, (or multiple if you add more enemies), define AI starting points and resources, control the camera movement, hide enemies on the mini map, add actions to units, use actions to control the technology tree, determine safe points to build, navigation and a lot more.

Try it out now! ~ Unity 5: Build a Real-Time Strategy Course

5 comments:

  1. Amazing job Dan, thank you for it, but there is missing scripts for chapter 5 "hud prefab" has no scripts in it, like "Canvas Scaler.cs" , "Graphic Raycaster.cs" and others

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reply. If I recall right, there weren't any scripts needed. I tried loading that one myself prior to submitting the download zip to Lynda. I'm wondering if there is a potential script issue from later versions of Unity trying to load the package. Graphic RayCaster isn't anywhere in my file list, neither is Canvas Scaler.

    If I recall right, the chapter where I load that content has no actual coding in it. more just an explanation of the parts we loaded. You should be able to grab the chapter code for the start of the next chapter and be fine.

    I've seen issues like these happen as one off's on various people's machines, like the middle click not working in Unity, and reinstalling helped. If you are still running into issues after trying to load the next chapter reach out to me again.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on separate email chain, and anyone following this, there was an error on their machine that was preventing the correct script loading. This should be isolated, but if more people see it, I would loave to hear about it.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete