Monday, May 1, 2017

Ludum Dare #38

I decided to take on Ludum Dare #38, which theme was "A Small World".  So I created the theme: lost on a small world, chart star constellations to figure out where you are.  So below is the game play.


You can play it here:



One concept I really wanted to experiment with, was using the same mechanics as game play to drive the opening menu.  I.e. in the game you look through the star field to find constellations, and match them up with one on your screen, including rotation.


In this starting scene, you can see I've flat out said what the controls are, and you can see the lines that say START.  But to the right upper corner and rotated, you can also see the letters STA written in stars.  It emphasizes there is a constellation in that corner.  By any movement, you see how that camera movement works.

In my opinion, this helps clarify the game pretty directly.  You leave the start screen by use of the same mechanics as in game.

I'd love some feed back as to whether this concept works well enough, and what ideas you might have to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment